Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Crushin'


Here's what I'm spittin': After about four years on top as the undisputed best tennis player in the universe, Roger Federer is about to have his throne usurped by the one and only Rafael Nadal. The weird thing is, I'm okay with that. Rafa has shown that he is as classy as they come, and he has also proven hands down this year, that he is more than equal to the task of taking Roger's place as numero uno. For now. I say for now, because I have in no way counted the Swiss champion out. Pete Sampras, the well known second best tennis player in history, fell off the map once he won his twelfth grand slam title, and he went on to win two more. He did this as an old man. I have complete faith that while Roger has had an off year, he will undoubtedly work harder and have even more desire to reclaim his rightful place on the top of the tennis world. It will not be a walk in the park though. Rafa has worked hard to get where he is, and he will not take things lightly now that he has reached the top of the metaphoric mountain. He has the high ground now, and Roger is going to have to be amazing in order to return to the summit. I do have to say this, regardless of how the year ends, what Nadal has done this year rivals anything that Roger has done. He has made a name for himself, and all the greats of tennis past and present must show him the respect that he has earned, even in their great presence.

1 comment:

dingo said...

So this comment is a little late but my love for Roger Federer is year round and so here is what I am thinkin...

The Master's Cup is this week and our dear Rafa has withdrawn. Everyone would agree that Rafa has had a busy year, but Roger has had five of years back to back and he hasn't ever had these kind of exhaution problems.

I fear Rafa's reign won't last long. My prediction is that Roger will regain the number 1 soon after he reclaims his Austrailian Open title. But, I don't think he will keep it for more than a year. These young guns are getting really good...the number one spot will be up for grabs maybe picked up by Murray, Tsonga, or even Del Portro (not Djokavic, let's only accept fan favorites!).

So in conculsion, I love Roger, Rafa needs a nap and the boys are gettin' gooooood!!